McGruff's Surprise Party helps you teach young children about the dangers of alcohol and drug abuse and how to avoid those dangers. In this colorful and entertaining story, readers see how children just like them resist peer pressure and make smart choices. Here are some of the important messages presented in this comic book:
- Alcohol and other drugs affect your mind and body
- Alcohol is against the law for children
- Many drugs are against the law for children and adults
- Sometimes other people will ask children to use alcohol or other drugs
- Kids have to learn how to say no when someone asks them to use alcohol or other drugs
- Building self-esteem comes from making good decisions, not from giving in to peer pressure
- Real friends won't try to get you to use drugs
- Examples of ways to say no to drugs
- A fun puzzle activity with a prevention message
- An activity showing scenes of peer pressure that readers complete with their own ways to say NO.
All these lessons are presented in a story featuring characters that readers can identify with, so they will be ready when they have to say NO in their own lives! McGruff's Surprise Party is a great way to help you start talking with young children about drug abuse prevention.
McGruff is a registered trademark and service mark of the National Crime Prevention Council.
|This educational comic book has been reviewed for accuracy by:
Center For Substance Abuse Prevention, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Bureau of Justice Assistance, U.S. Department of Justice
National Crime Prevention Council
McGruff's Surprise Party can be distributed for independent learning or used in structured educational programs. Use McGruff's Surprise Party for D.A.R.E Programs, health fairs, early substance abuse education programs, anti-drug abuse programs, and any school or community education program whose goal is to teach children to avoid alcohol and other drug abuse.
This flexible teaching tool is perfect for use by teachers, school districts, health departments, police departments, substance abuse prevention agencies, doctors, nurses, community groups, and anyone who wants to teach young people about drug abuse prevention!
Written by best-selling authors Scott Deschaine and Mike Benton and illustrated by award-winning cartoonist Bob Donovan.
Note: The health and safety information therein is presented as a public service by Discovery Comics and the distributors and sponsors of this comic book. They assume no liability for any actions taken by persons based on the information contained therein.